Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, label removed
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large (or 3 medium) bananas, sliced
- 1 ½ cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup shaved (or chopped) semi- or bittersweet chocolate
- Set sweetened condensed milk can in a medium saucepan with water to come ¾ of the way up. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered and adding water as needed, about 3 hours. Remove can from pan; let cool until warm. (Do not open too soon as milk may spurt if can is hot.)
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix graham crackers crumbs and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in a medium bowl. Add butter and stir with a fork until well incorporated. Dump crumbs into a 9-inch glass pie plate and spread evenly over bottom. Use a flat-bottomed measuring cup to press crumbs evenly over pan bottom and up the sides. Using each index finger, press crumbs around the top edge to even the crust and secure loose crumbs. Bake until fragrant, about 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream to fairly stiff peaks with remaining sugar and vanilla extract.
- To assemble pie, spread reduced and cooled, sweetened condensed milk over pie bottom, top with bananas, and then the whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate and refrigerate until ready to serve (Can be made several hours before serving.)